The Dish > Green Garbanzo Falafel BLT Burgers PLUS Fried Green Garbanzo Beans served with Baba Ghanoush Dip
The Trend > Green Garbanzo Beans
Tempt adventurous diners with bright green garbanzo beans. This super food adds flavor to falafels and tastes great fried or blended into a creamy dip.
Green Garbanzo BLT Burgers
Yield: 4 servings
- 1pound unshelled fresh green garbanzo beans (about 2 quarts) or 1 pint shelled fresh garbanzo beans
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 2garlic cloves, minced
- 2green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/8teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/2teaspoon ground cumin
- 1teaspoon each kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 2tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/2cup quick oats
- 1/4cup canola oil
- 4rolls or buns
- 8slices cooked bacon, cut crosswise in half
- 4slices red onion
- 1/2cup each Green Tomato Jam and herb blend spring mix
1. If using unshelled beans: Heat large covered saucepot of salted water to boiling over high heat. Add beans and cook 10 to 12 minutes or until beans are tender; reserve some cooking water and drain. Cool slightly, then remove and discard pods.
2. In large sauté pan, add olive oil and garlic, and cook over medium-high heat 1 minute; add green onions and beans, and cook 2 minutes. Add red pepper, cumin, salt, black pepper and basil; cook 2 minutes longer. Cool slightly.
3. In food processor, pulse bean mixture, oats and 2 tablespoons reserved cooking water (or water if using shelled beans) until mixture is slightly chunky and sticks together when pressed between 2 fingers. If necessary, add additional cooking water to adjust consistency. Refrigerate at least 2 hours or up to 2 days. Makes about 2 cups.
4. To serve: Form bean mixture into 4-ounce (1/2 cup) burgers. In large sauté pan, heat canola oil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium; add burgers and cook 6 to 8 minutes or until browned and heated through, turning once halfway through cooking. Serve burgers in rolls topped with bacon, red onion, Green Tomato Jam and spring mix.
Green Tomato Jam
Yield: 1 pint
- 2pounds green tomatoes, coarsely chopped (about 3 pints)
- 1cup granulated sugar
- 1/2cup water
- 2tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1tablespoon lemon zest
- 2teaspoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
1. In medium saucepot, combine all ingredients except cilantro: heat to boiling over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium; simmer 1 hour or until most liquid has evaporated. Cool 15 minutes.
2. In food processor, pulse green tomato mixture to jam-like consistency; transfer to bowl and stir in cilantro. Cover and refrigerate up to 3 days.
ChefRef TipDue to water content variance in green tomatoes, cooking time may need to be adjusted.
Fried Green Garbanzo Beans
Yield: 4 servings
- 1/2pound fresh green garbanzo beans (in the pod) (about 1 quart)
- 3tablespoons each cornstarch and rice flour
- Sea salt, to taste
- 1/2cup canola oil
1. Heat large covered saucepot of salted water to boiling over high heat. Add beans and cook 8 minutes or until pods are slightly soft and beans are almost tender. Cool slightly, then remove and discard pods. You should have about 1 cup beans.
2. In shallow dish, whisk cornstarch, flour and sea salt. Toss beans in cornstarch mixture to coat; shake off excess cornstarch mixture.
3. In large sauté pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add beans and cook 5 to 6 minutes or until beans are slightly crispy on the outside. Serve with baba ghanoush for dipping.